Sunday, September 20, 2009

It is Alive!

This week I experienced a miraculous thing… a birth – the birth of a play – my play. It is a curious thing to see the words that you labored and agonized over take on breath and flesh and become a living thing. And I really can’t call it “my” play, for by now my DNA has been mingled with that of the director and the actors to create a new amalgamation; perhaps more like the reanimation of Dr. Frankenstein’s creature than a new born baby, but either way, I happily declare, “It is alive!”

I should give the disclaimer that the play is an original adaptation of Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer, so the words are more Mark than me, but like the good Dr. Frankenstein I have cut and sewn and added in a few original parts and the results are much less frightening. You won’t run screaming from the theatre, I promise!

We have a great cast and it has been so fun to see them bring the material to life and to hear the audience respond, laugh or just watch with delighted faces. The show is traveling to schools throughout Utah, but you can still catch one of the remaining public performances. They are at the Orem Public Library: September 25, October 2,9 and 16; and at UVU’s Noorda Theatre Experimental Box: October 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment